The WordPress Blog University class (Blogging101) has gotten some creative juices flowing, with a lot of interaction between and among the students as each new assignment is posted. The first task was to do an introduction (who am I ? Why am I here?) post. Even though I did that post, it occurred to me later that there are several advantages to blogging that I did not mention, additional reasons that have become apparent as I have participated in blogging over the years.
So, here is my partial list of Some Advantages of Blogging.
- Work out what you think in a forum that you control before anyone else sees it (save in draft mode, revise and edit before publishing);
- Share what you think via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, email, and otherwise;
- Have a “canned response” that you can share when the same questions or topics repeat;
- Compile a collection of writing that can be turned into a book or a class or a presentation or all three;
- Have a portfolio or showcase of your work for prospective clients to view;
- For businesses, your blog can be a readily-updated source of information and news to share with clients or the public to build brand awareness and loyalty.
- Your blog can point toward your website (helping SEO) or
- Your blog can be your website (cutting costs and making it easier to create, add and edit content than with an offline editor and ftp program; no hosting/server expense)
In my case, each one of these have come true for me for one or more of my blogs (well, okay, I am still working on number 4, but it is coming along nicely).
Do you know of any other advantages? Feel free to comment below.